"̌...In conclusion, preliminary evidence from China strongly suggests that based on the immutable science of HBOT and recent clinical application to deteriorating severely hypoxemic COVID-19 pneumonia patients, HBOT has significant potential to impact the COVID-19 pandemic." Year : 2020 | Volume : 10 | Issue : 2 | Page : 61-62 Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) respiratory failure Paul G Harch Department of Medicine, Section of Emergency and Hyperbaric Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, US
New York Study Objective: Given the high mortality and prolonged duration of mechanical ventilation of COVID-19 patients, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen for COVID-19 patients with respiratory distress.
Assaf-Harofeh Medical Center, Israel The 2019-20 coronavirus disease, caused by COVID-19, is an ongoing pandemic. So far, no specific treatment has proven efficacy...The purpose of the current study is the evaluate the efficacy of HBOT in moderate-severe COVID-19 patients in a randomized controlled manner .
Additional References 1. Geier MR, Geier DA. Respiratory conditions in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Important considerations regarding novel treatment strategies to reduce mortality [published online ahead of print, 2020 Apr 22]. Med Hypotheses. 2020;140:109760. doi:10.1016/j.mehy.2020.109760
2. Zhong Xiaoling TX, Tang Yanchao, Chen Ruiyong. Effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on hypoxia in patients with severe new coronavirus pneumonia: first report. Chinese Journal of Marine Medicine and Hyperbaric Medicine.
3. Thibodeaux K, Speyrer M, Raza A, Yaakov R, Serena TE. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in preventing mechanical ventilation in COVID-19 patients: a retrospective case series. J Wound Care. 2020; May 1;29(Sup5a):S4-S8. doi: 10.12968/jowc.2020.29.Sup5a.S4.
4. Gorenstein SA, Castellano ML, Slone ES, Gillette B, Liu H, Alsamarraie C, Jacobson AM, Wall SP, Adhikari S, Swartz JL, McMullen JJS, Osorio M, Koziatek CA, Lee DC. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for COVID-19 patients with respiratory distress: treated cases versus propensity-matched controls. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2020 47(3): 405-413. Online ahead of print. https://www.uhms.org/images/UHM-Journal/PRE-PROOF_-_HBO2_for_COVID_-_47- 3_THIRD_QUARTER_2020_print_version_version_47-3.pdf
5. UHMS Research Committee. Rationale, study design considerations, and protocol recommendations for treating COVID-19 patients with hyperbaric oxygen. https://www.uhms.org/images/MiscDocs/Rational_and_study_design_for_treating_COVID_pati ents_with_HBO2.pdf 6. Paganini M, Bosco G, F Perozzo FAG, Kohlscheen E, Sonda R, Bassetto F, Garetto G, Camporesi EM, Thom SR. The role of hyperbaric oxygen treatment for COVID-19: a review. Adv Exp Med. Biol2020 Jul 22. doi: 10.1007/5584_2020_568. Online ahead of print.
7. Van Meter KW. The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on severe anemia. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2012;39(5):937-942. 8. Serena TE, Thibodeaux KT, Speyrer, M, Raza A, Mayhugh TA. Hyperbaric oxygen in preventing mechanical ventilation in COVID-19 patients; a multicenter case series. https://www.uhms.org/covid-19-information.html (webinar) https://www.uhms.org/images/ABSTRACTS_Covid-19_webinar_rev_6-17.pdf (abstract)
How does this relate to the Climate? This project, including the phase 3 clinical trial already approved by Health Canada and the IRB, will be funded by the Climate Foundation, which is a 501c3 non profit.